How to delete and deactivate Instagram: A step-by-step guide
So you’ve had enough of Instagram.
Maybe you’ve become obsessed with scrolling through the rich kids of Instagram’s feeds, or you’re sick of seeing food porn around every corner. You may be annoyed at the adverts Instagram recently introduced, and is rumoured to be increasing over the coming months.
If any of these apply, or you’re just having a detox, you have two options: you can either delete your Instagram account permanently, which will wipe out all the photos shared on the site or app, or you can temporarily deactivate Instagram.
Be warned though, if you choose to permanently delete Instagram, your profile, photos, videos, comments, Likes and followers will be removed – there’s no going back. You have to be really sure you’re ready to enter the filter-free world.
How to delete Instagram
- You can’t delete Instagram using the app, so you’ll need to use a PC or computer.
- Open the Delete Instagram account page on Instagram’s FAQ.
- Enter your username and password, if you’re not already signed in. This will take you to a page with a drop-down menu next to the question “Why are you deleting your account?”
- Choose from one of the seven options: “Trouble getting started,” “Created a second account,” “Privacy concerns,” “Want to remove something,” “Too busy/too distracting,” “Can’t find people to follow” and “Too Many Ads” or “Something else”.
- Once you select a reason, you’ll be asked to enter your password one last time.
- To delete Instagram, click “Permanently delete my account” when it pops up.
Alternatively, you can deactivate your account for a limited time. Read on to find out how:
How to deactivate Instagram
If you don’t want to permanently delete Instagram, you can instead take a break from the service. You can deactivate and reactivate your account at any time on a desktop, but not via the app.
- Log in to your account on mobile or desktop.
- Select your profile picture and go to “Edit Account”.
- Scroll down and hit “Temporarily disable my account”. You’ll be asked to select a reason why before being given the chance to finally hit the “Temporarily Disable Account” button that pops up.